Wednesday, February 09, 2005

 

Reason Number 38...

why Dave is my geo-guru. He introduced me to a new concept, although unwittingly. The concept is litho-liberation. That is, freeing stones from a situation which they (the stones) would understandably find frustrating or which would not allow them their full potential. He didn't actually try to teach me this, I just extrapolated it from a brief email. Forgive me if I have gone to far with a simple statement, Dave. On the way home from work, I stopped by a construction site nearby and liberated some granite from a fate that I believe they would find to be beneath them. I don't know what their actual objective destiny was, but it looked like they were about to be a wall or a simple curb. Not good. Just look what they were able to do in one night! And all of this with total darkness. These guys fell together magically. It was totally feel, sound, and communication between us in the dark. Forgive the digital enhancement of the photos, but these guys love thier new home. I feel it.

Comments:
I have not yet met a rock that didn't thank me for resucing it from some humdrum fate like backfill at Wal-Mart SuperCenter and giving it a chance to stand and shine. They all think they're faces and sometimes, I go to a rockpile I have not been invited to and I can just hear the rocks shouting out, "Pick me, Dave, pick me." I sorta feel like it's only stealing if you take a rock from someplace that could create an erosion problem (which to the best of my knowledge, I have never done) or take a stone specifically placed for aesthetic reasons by someone else, which I have also never done. I've also never taken a big rock (I've brought home interesting pebbles) from a nat'l, state or county park, though I liberated a few from the ditch on the side of the Blue Ridge Parkway (BluRP). As I see it, landslides are nature's way of saying, "Look at this fresh material I have tossed up here for you to play with."

K-T gets it; glad you do, too.

Dave
 
Naw, man, you never take a rock from a national park. Most especially, you never take a rock from Indian land (feathers, not dots). That's monster bad juju. When I was in Joshua tree, I bought a "Grow your own tree kit", and when we got back home, I gathered the tiny stones out of the floorboard of the car to put in with the seeds; I thought it would be nice for them to have some native granite bits in the soil. I figured this was fair play, as the stones were off of our shoes and would have ended up in a rental car canter vaccuum.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?